Majlis-e-Mughal - Mughlai Cuisine In All Its Ancient Legacy

Ask a food blogger about what he loves the most about his job, and the obvious answer will be the opportunity to critique food and beverage regularly. If you were to ask me, I strive to write honest opinions centered on food. Through my posts, I provide firsthand information on what you can expect at a new property - be it a standalone or a hotel.

As a customer, you have the right to know if the food you'll be served is up to the mark or not. A good review can help you take an informed decision; therefore, as bloggers, it is important we look at writing authentic reviews only - with the intention to help, not to impress anyone.

That said, here is my review of a new fine-dining restaurant in Vasant Kunj called Majlis-e-Mughal.


It is not often that you meet a restaurateur who does not come from an F&B background. Sohail Khatri, in that regard, is quite an interesting personality. Before he opened Majlis-e-Mughal in October last year, Sohail's only claim to fame was that he was a big foodie. After completing a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) from the Jagan Institute of Management Studies (JIMS), New Delhi, Sohail always wanted to be on his own. It was only after researching the F&B market a bit that Sohail realized the need for a good Mughlai restaurant in Delhi. And that is how Majlis-e-Mughal was born.


My first impression of the restaurant was that it seemed pretty small to accommodate a large gathering of people. To that, Sohail informed me that the restaurant can easily house up to 48 people at any given time. In case of more customers, Sohail also has the provision of terrace seating (for nearly 30 people). As a matter of fact, he is also planning to open up a new restaurant and cafe on the first floor of building called Clemencys.

Both Majlis-e-Mughal and Clemencys are owned by Clemencys Food and Services.

Food Bloggers at Majlis-e-Mughal

Majlis-e-Mughal has a covered (sitting) area of 1000 square feet (the kitchen area is approximately 400 square feet).

Seating at Majlis-e-Mughal
Seating at Majlis-e-Mughal
Seating at Majlis-e-Mughal
Seating at Majlis-e-Mughal

The kitchen is in the capable hands of Executive Head Chef, Raj Aryan, who has more than 15 years of experience in the F&B industry, having worked for reputed hotels like The Oberoi. Raj uses the choicest Mughlai and Awadhi spices plus the best Desi Ghee for preparation of all Mughlai dishes coming from his kitchen.

Choicest Mughlai and Awadhi spices used at Majlis-e-Mughal

Here are my top recommendations for food at Majlis-e-Mughal.

Starters

Papad with 3 Chutneys
[My Rating: 4 out of 5]

Served as accompaniment to a meal, these crispy Papadums taste best with three chutneys - Tomato, Tamarind, and Mint.

Papadums
Tomato, Tamarind, and Mint Chutneys

Lukhnawi Dahi Kebab
[My Rating: 5 out of 5]

As you know, the Awadhi cuisine originated from the famous city of Lucknow. True to its name, Lukhnawi Dahi Kebab is one of the most known traditional Awadhi dishes, made of fresh hung curd marinated in Mughlai spices.

Lukhnawi Dahi Kebab

Lukhnawi Veg Seekh Kebab
[My Rating: 4 out of 5]

A healthier substitute for fried kebabs, Lukhnawi Veg Seekh Kebab is made of seasonal assortment of vegetables with Mughlai spices.

Lukhnawi Veg Seekh Kebab

Nizami Kebab
[My Rating: 5 out of 5]

Minced chicken breast marinated with onion and Nizami Mughlai spices. Served with Rumali Roti and chutney for a heavenly combination.

Nizami Kebab

Tilnaaz Bharwaan Aloo
[My Rating: 4 out of 5]

Tilnaaz Bharwaan Aloo comprises potato stuffed with cottage cheese and dry fruits, coated with Til and cooked in tandoor.

Tilnaaz Bharwaan Aloo

Gulawti Kebab
[My Rating: 5 out of 5]

Considered one of the most popular dishes from the Awadhi bawarchikhana (kitchen), Gulawti Kebabs contain the traditional aroma of Mughlai cuisine in mince mutton.

Murg Majlis Kebab
[My Rating: 5 out of 5]

Marinated boneless chicken breast cooked with Mughlai spices and filled with Chicken Keema. Like me, even you would not be able to second-guess that the outer coating is made of egg.

Murg Majlis Kebab

Kakori Kebab
[My Rating: 5 out of 5]

Hailed as the world's softest kebabs, Kakori Kebabs are so delicious and juicy that they actually melt in your mouth.

Kakori Kebab
Mains

Lazeez Mutton Nihari
[My Rating: 4 out of 5]

Lazeez Mutton Nihari is sumptuous flour based stew with slow cooked mutton marinated in Mughlai spices.

Murgh Korma
[My Rating: 5 out of 5]

Murgh Korma is a traditional chicken 'avadhi' marinated in Mughlai spices and cooked in rich gravy.

Murgh Korma

Murgh Changezi
[My Rating: 5 out of 5]

Murgh Changezi is Awadhi style chicken cooked with Mughlai spices.

Murgh Changezi with Khamiri Roti

Paneer Dhaniya Adraki
[My Rating: 5 out of 5]

As the name suggests, Paneer Dhaniya Adraki is cottage cheese cooked in rich gravy, flavored with coriander and ginger.

Paneer Dhaniya Adraki

Breads
[My Rating: 5 out of 5]

Enjoy the flavorful curries with leavened breads like the Khamiri Roti or Bakarkhani Sheermal.

Bakarkhani Sheermal
Khamiri Roti
Biryanis

Murgh Mumtaz Biryani
[My Rating: 5 out of 5]

Basmati rice and murgh (boneless chicken) cooked with Mughlai spices and saffron in Hyderabadi style.

Mutton Mumtaz Biryani
[My Rating: 4 out of 5]

Basmati rice 'gosht' cooked with Mughlai spices and saffron in Hyderabadi style.

Mutton Mumtaz Biryani
Beverages

Fresh Lime Soda
[My Rating: 3 out of 5]

Not much innovation in the beverages department, but I did enjoy the flavorful fresh lime soda served at Majlis-e-Mughal.
 
Desserts

Shahi Fhirni
[My Rating: 4 out of 5]

Made of ground rice and cooked in milk, the Shahi Fhirni scores high on the aesthetics.

Shahi Fhirni

Finally, it seems like Majlis-e-Mughal certainly has its heart in the right place. Go, relish the delectable Mughlai cuisine in all its ancient legacy.

Majlis-e-Mughal Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments

  1. The name itself sounds very exotic. I have never tried Muglai cuisine. Frankly speaking, I was under impression that it is mostly non-veg. But so am happy to see that I will be having many dishes to enjoy if I happen to visit this restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow all the food items are looking so amazing. and there are so many varieties of kabab. indeed majis e mughal sounds like a great place to enjoy mughal cuisin. as usual, your review was perfect and you have covered all details so well in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the variety of food they serve, really want to try that Nizami Kabab, looks so tempting. Thanks for sharing all details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing attracts me here is the cozy sitting arrangements. Using authentic spices is the second amazing factor. I need to try Mutton Mumtaz biriyani. It looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love kebabs and Mughlai cuisine. I will surely add Majlis-e-Mughal to my list and will try to visit it when I can. The food looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mughlai cuisine is an absolute delicacy. It is so good to know that they serve so many vegetarian dishes too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The food indeed looks very scrumptious and my husband especially loves mughlai food and would for sure relish eating here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Majlis-e-Mughlai evokes the Mughal aura with its decor. The place has a royal touch blended with contemporary decor. What I really liked is the awesome presentation of the dishes which look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Non-veg food rules Mughlai cuisine but I'm happy to see some very drollworthy veg options here. 3 chutneys with papad sound great. Loved their overall presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading your detailed reviews Rahul. they are always holistic and gives the apt bit of information on the new places in Delhi and around. This post is also yet another amazing one with complelet information on Mughlai cuisine with pictures of food and ambience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This place looks amazing .I will surely add Majlis-e-Mughal to my list and will try to visit it when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The place looks so beautiful and the food looks really delicious . Seems like you had a great time there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The ambience and food both look pretty good. I specially like the kebabs here. This looks like a great place for Mughlai cuisine lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Coming from Lucknow and Agra, I understand the depth of Mughlai cuisine. Also, many big names have flattened in this genre despite having immense knowledge and background. Glad to know about this place, and the way they are trying to built their name in Indian Cuisine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment